shape
carat
color
clarity

bridal trends...what do you love and what do you hate?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
spinoff from hangout thread...curious to hear y'all's opinions on bridal/wedding trends.

some I can think of

sparkly dresses
dresses that could double as lingerie
birdcage veils
groom/groomsmen wearing converse
groom/groomsmen jumping into air photo
photobooths
candy bars
signature cocktail

ETA the title was to reflect the similarity to the thread in hangout, but I think 'hate' might be too strong since many of us have used or are using these trends!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I'm hoping not to offend, because I'm sure I'll do things that other people are over!

LOVE
Non strapless dresses
Different suits on the men-- but no converse or too tight pants, please. Loving the silver, khaki, etc that is becoming more common
Different times of day-- they don't all have to be at night
A "last dance" for the Bride and Groom
Bride and groom leaving before the reception ends-- throwback to older receptions
A lot of the DIY projects. They bring so much personality to the wedding.

HATE
Pickups on dresses
Corset backs (sorry!)
Mashed potato bar
Making the bridesmaids enter to their own song and dance. Awkward.
All white flowers
Spending thousands of dollars to have the exact same cookie cutter wedding as everyone else
Choreographed "Rock the Reception" dances. Been done!

Sorry-- I have to see a lot of these things day to day. While I think eggplant dresses are pretty, look great with many accent colors, and are definitely something I'd wear again, I think at least 60% of my customers want the exact same color. There are so many beautiful colors out there!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
OK, here goes

HATE
wedding dresses that could double as lingerie. seriously? a cleavage-baring lace bustier at your wedding?!?!?! in front of your grandparents?!?!?!
tweeting at the altar (I have not seen this but just read about it)

DISLIKE
groom/groomsmen jumping into the air photo-I feel like EVERY photo album I look at has one of these!
groom/groomsmen wearing converse-just not my style
sparkly dresses-again, just not my style.
flip flop baskets

NO OPINION
birdcage veils (work really well for some people/themes)
photobooths (not sure when this will feel tired?)
signature cocktails (same as photobooths...)

bridesmaids wearing different dresses of same color, or same dress but different bouquet

LOVE
all white flowers for bride's bouquet (sorry OUPearGirl!)
buttercream icing instead of fondant

confusedaisy

Shiny_Rock
OUpeargirl|1305046760|2917457 said:
HATE

Mashed potato bar

Oh No!!! Is this "out" or "done" or "over"? I JUST heard about this and I was so looking forward to it!! Now I'm kind of :oops:

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
I hope this doesn't offend, but I can't stand pickups on dresses. And I have to agree with not liking dresses that double as lingerie. I've never seen anyone I know wear one, but I see them on shows like Say Yes to the Dress.

I love most things lace and vintage. I also love birdcage veils or no veil at all (and a pretty clip or headband instead).

I don't get the signature drink thing. It seems kind of uppity to me.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
slg47|1305046312|2917447 said:
spinoff from hangout thread...curious to hear y'all's opinions on bridal/wedding trends.

some I can think of

sparkly dresses Hate
dresses that could double as lingerie Hate
birdcage veils Love for vintage or winter weddings only- all other times, I am not a fan
groom/groomsmen wearing converse dislike very much
groom/groomsmen jumping into air photo hahaha, it's always done! I would take one, but prob. not pick it for an album :wacko:
photobooths Sorry, LOVE IT! We are having one- and are the first wedding to do it out of all our invited guests- 190!, family, friends, or anyone we know!
candy bars Loved it- but it is becoming all too popular- I like it for bridal showers though...
signature cocktail I think this is getting old...

ETA the title was to reflect the similarity to the thread in hangout, but I think 'hate' might be too strong since many of us have used or are using these trends!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm hoping not to offend, because I'm sure I'll do things that other people are over!

LOVE
Non strapless dresses depends on the colors, and style of wedding. I love cocktail length for dresses though..
Different suits on the men-- but no converse or too tight pants, please. Loving the silver, khaki, etc that is becoming more common
Different times of day-- they don't all have to be at night I like day/afternoon weddings on weekends, or on a holiday like Haven had on her 4th of July wedding- still plenty of time to see fireworks, or go out and party with the guests after!!
A "last dance" for the Bride and Groom I like the last song to be slow... but now that you mention "last dance" I am kinda loving it!
Bride and groom leaving before the reception ends-- throwback to older receptions Sorry- but DISLIKE! I want to shut down the reception!
A lot of the DIY projects. They bring so much personality to the wedding. LOVE!!

HATE
Pickups on dresses DISLIKE
Corset backs (sorry!) Like, given the dress!
Mashed potato bar never seen one- so I do like this! and MP are one of my favorite foods :lickout:
Making the bridesmaids enter to their own song and dance. Awkward. ?? you mean walking into the reception with the groomsmen?
All white flowers I'm undecided on this... I am going with a bright summer arrangement.. but in some wedding styles or themes all white flowers work
Spending thousands of dollars to have the exact same cookie cutter wedding as everyone else dislike
Choreographed "Rock the Reception" dances. Been done! dislike

Sorry-- I have to see a lot of these things day to day. While I think eggplant dresses are pretty, look great with many accent colors, and are definitely something I'd wear again, I think at least 60% of my customers want the exact same color. There are so many beautiful colors out there!

Ohhh where do you work???

slg47

Ideal_Rock
merilenda|1305054604|2917599 said:
I hope this doesn't offend, but I can't stand pickups on dresses. And I have to agree with not liking dresses that double as lingerie. I've never seen anyone I know wear one, but I see them on shows like Say Yes to the Dress.

I love most things lace and vintage. I also love birdcage veils or no veil at all (and a pretty clip or headband instead).

same here! I have not seen one in real life (thank goodness) but they seem to be all the rage on say yes to the dress!

asymons412

Shiny_Rock
I love photobooths too! It seems much more fun than simply signing the guestbook! Also, I am obsessed with photo booths. 8) Oh well, to each her own!

I guess I haven't done enough planning yet to have developed any hates, other than (of course) the lingerie wedding dress...

"groom/groomsmen wearing converse" Oh wait I just found something I hate. :devil:

As for mashed potato bars, don't be discouraged confusedaisy! I actually had no idea that people had these at weddings, but I have had them at formal events before and I have to say... they might not be the classiest thing in the world, but they are pretty delicious,. ;)) Do what makes you happiest!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, wait for it... we are having a 4th of July wedding, so FI wanted something different at our cocktail hour... wait for it:::::::::::HOTDOG CART::::::::::::::::: !! Haha, so we are having one at the cocktail hour at our *hopefully outdoor* cocktail hour. How much more americana can that be? lol

to each his own!

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE mashed potato bars! I wasn't especially planning on doing one for my wedding, but I love them. I want one in my office right now. For lunch. Please? I don't know, they may be a passing trend, but as long as they're tasty, I don't mind.

I, for one, hate birdcage veils, funky shoes that don't match the dress, and..yes..I'll say it...destination weddings. Sorry to everyone I just offended. I don't care if the bride and groom elope in some tropical destination, that's great, but it bothers me when they just expect 200 of their closest friends and family to haul themselves out to Aruba on their own dime.

I don't mind pickups on dresses, very Beauty and the Beast. I don't know if I could pull that look off, though. And if I'm being totally honest, I don't think it's terrible to spend lots of money on what you call a "cookie-cutter" wedding. What many people call a "cookie-cutter" wedding, I may call traditional and classic. I'm not going to drive myself crazy trying to be "different." Our wedding will be unique and special because it's ours, even if it looks, on the outside, like many other weddings you may have seen.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
What are your thoughts on this trend.... friends being ordained to be your officiant?? We were debating whether or not we wanted to go this route, but in the end we didn't think it would feel as "official" or serious as a real "professiona" officiant... we were afraid guests, family and friends would see our friend standing up there as the officiant and think that WE weren't taking the ceremony seriously...

I am still on the fence with this trend..

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have many "hates" (I haven't been to enough trendy weddings to get tired of all the trends, I guess!), but I just don't get theme weddings. Someone just emailed me this link today, and added that there was probably still time to get our superhero outfits. :D

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/38584...ings/t/nice-day-weird-wedding-wacky-nuptials/

Some trends I love:

Retro-style weddings with full skirts, Veronica Lake hair-dos, and classic cars instead of limos
Bright shoes - I think that little bit of color sticking out of the bottom of a wedding dress is gorgeous
Lace sleeves a la Kate Middleton
Monograms
DIY details - I so admire crafty brides!
Purple - I really had no idea this was a trend. Really! But it's a great color, and looks great on lots of different skintones.

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
Amys Bling|1305056958|2917646 said:
What are your thoughts on this trend.... friends being ordained to be your officiant?? We were debating whether or not we wanted to go this route, but in the end we didn't think it would feel as "official" or serious as a real "professiona" officiant... we were afraid guests, family and friends would see our friend standing up there as the officiant and think that WE weren't taking the ceremony seriously...

I think if you've got a friend who is a great public speaker, go for it!

confusedaisy

Shiny_Rock
slg47|1305055310|2917616 said:
merilenda|1305054604|2917599 said:

same here! I have not seen one in real life (thank goodness) but they seem to be all the rage on say yes to the dress!
I just need to say, this show is so tacky (!!!) that I've actually decided not to go to Kleinfeld's to look for my dress (which makes my mom :o ). I think it'll cheapen this whole process...

confusedaisy

Shiny_Rock
asymons412|1305055394|2917619 said:
I love photobooths too! It seems much more fun than simply signing the guestbook! Also, I am obsessed with photo booths. 8) Oh well, to each her own!

I guess I haven't done enough planning yet to have developed any hates, other than (of course) the lingerie wedding dress...

"groom/groomsmen wearing converse" Oh wait I just found something I hate. :devil:

As for mashed potato bars, don't be discouraged confusedaisy! I actually had no idea that people had these at weddings, but I have had them at formal events before and I have to say... they might not be the classiest thing in the world, but they are pretty delicious,. ;)) Do what makes you happiest!

I want to do a photo booth too- I think it'll be super fun!

You know, we're probably doing an afternoon wedding so we felt like it might be a fun addition to the cocktail hr. We'll see- we just started planning.

confusedaisy

Shiny_Rock
Amys Bling|1305056521|2917639 said:
Ok, wait for it... we are having a 4th of July wedding, so FI wanted something different at our cocktail hour... wait for it:::::::::::HOTDOG CART::::::::::::::::: !! Haha, so we are having one at the cocktail hour at our *hopefully outdoor* cocktail hour. How much more americana can that be? lol

to each his own!
THAT IS SUPER CUTE!! We have tons of ideas to personalize our wedding. We're big foodies and thought it would be fun to have a food cart at the end of the wedding, but since we're doing an afternoon wedding, I told him it didn't make sense to have a cocktail hour, sit down dinner, cake and desserts, AND a food truck. he wasn't very happy with that... ;(

confusedaisy

Shiny_Rock

I don't want to offend anyone... but I think that this can be done tastefully or it can be very tacky. I went to a wedding where they had an friend officiate because they didn't want to foot the cost for a real officiant. It just didn't feel right. Just my 2 cents...

rosetta

Ideal_Rock

Buttercream (sadly my own cakes design wouldn't allow it)

Sleeves on dresses

Candles everywhere

Fireworks choreographed to music

Small bridal parties (so much less hassle)

Wedding planners (mine is a total godsend)

Photoboths (even more fun when the photos go in your guest book)

Hate

Meringue dresses (how much longer will they linger?)

Cakes made of cheese

Buffet meals (I like a proper service please!)

Drunk guests

Long speeches

Useless wedding favours (I like ones you can eat)

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
confusedaisy|1305053818|2917584 said:
HATE

Mashed potato bar

Oh No!!! Is this "out" or "done" or "over"? I JUST heard about this and I was so looking forward to it!! Now I'm kind of :oops:

Could just be my part of the country-- it's not that the concept is bad, but I've to what seems like a million receptions where they have them. Don't get me wrong, they are YUMMY, but overdone in Texas.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I forgot monograms.

Hate them.

I'm not a product. Why do I need brand marketing?

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling|1305055280|2917615 said:

LOVE
Non strapless dresses depends on the colors, and style of wedding. I love cocktail length for dresses though..
Different times of day-- they don't all have to be at night I like day/afternoon weddings on weekends, or on a holiday like Haven had on her 4th of July wedding- still plenty of time to see fireworks, or go out and party with the guests after!!
A "last dance" for the Bride and Groom I like the last song to be slow... but now that you mention "last dance" I am kinda loving it!
Bride and groom leaving before the reception ends-- throwback to older receptions Sorry- but DISLIKE! I want to shut down the reception!
A lot of the DIY projects. They bring so much personality to the wedding. LOVE!!

HATE
Pickups on dresses DISLIKE
Corset backs (sorry!) Like, given the dress!
Mashed potato bar never seen one- so I do like this! and MP are one of my favorite foods :lickout:
Making the bridesmaids enter to their own song and dance. Awkward. ?? you mean walking into the reception with the groomsmen?
All white flowers I'm undecided on this... I am going with a bright summer arrangement.. but in some wedding styles or themes all white flowers work
Spending thousands of dollars to have the exact same cookie cutter wedding as everyone else dislike
Choreographed "Rock the Reception" dances. Been done! dislike

Ohhh where do you work???

At a bridal salon! It's fun. My thing with white flowers is that they usually don't photograph as well. I also think they can take away fromo the beautiful dress.

As for the last dance thing, several receptions I've been to lately have the bride and groom do a final dance before leaving in roses, bubbles, etc. Ours will be to "Come Fly With Me" because he's a pilot in the AF! At my sister's wedding it was to "Ill Be Home for Christmas" because they were leaving the next day (Dec 19) and flying back on Dec 24.. just in time!

Anyway-- I am far more opinionated about weddings than most because I deal with them daily!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling|1305056521|2917639 said:

to each his own!

Aahh! How fun! I love it!!!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Oh, fun thread!

Hate:
-Trashy dresses (the best example I can think of is the Pnina dress that's always on Say Yes To the Dress, the one that is a lacy corset with boning and is see-through)
-Dresses with color- I don't mind a colored sash, but when their are colored fabric panels? Weird. I went to a wedding where the bride had red in her dress. Call me old fashioned, but red isn't a color I associate with weddings.
-The bridal pose- the one in magazines where the model is standing with her shoulders sort of hunched forward. It's not flattering and looks like she's having stomach pains. It seems that 25% of dress ads use this pose. Why why why?
-Unity candles/sand ceremony- I could see using them if you were a blended family, as a way of including the kids...but other than that? Weird. The point is to show to people/families coming together to build a new one...but isn't that what a wedding is already doing?
-Lengthy dances- I went to a wedding that had about 20 minutes of every combination of dance possible- father/daughter, mother/son, MIL/groom, FIL/bride, etc. Watching people slow dance is fun for about 3 minutes.
-Money dances, or any other attempt to get cash from your guests.
-No-host bars- If you can't afford an open bar, fine. I'd rather have no alcohol than make my guests pay. I even had to buy my own diet coke at a wedding!
-Down time- especially between the ceremony and reception. I've been to a wedding where there was about an hour and a half. No cocktails, no food, nothing. And not quite enough time to go somewhere and grab a drink or something.
-Having a separate reception dress- weird. Why spend all that money if you're only going to wear it for 30 minutes? Plus, I want to be able to check out the dress up close at the reception.

Love:
-Photobooths- Fun!
-Non-traditional guest books- My friend got married and the guest book was a magnum of wine from the winery that we all signed.
-Jewel bouquets- If I'm spending several hundred dollars on a bouquet, I want it to look beautiful forever.
-Live music. I know, expensive. But it really makes for a fun time.
-Not really a thing, but I love fun weddings...the kind where you feel like it's one big get together and not just a stuffy, stiff event.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
confusedaisy|1305060436|2917695 said:

I don't want to offend anyone... but I think that this can be done tastefully or it can be very tacky. I went to a wedding where they had an friend officiate because they didn't want to foot the cost for a real officiant. It just didn't feel right. Just my 2 cents...

We are having a friend officiate our wedding. It's my MOH's husband. We are having a destination wedding and would rather have someone close to us do it than some random person we would only meet a few minutes before the ceremony.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
AMC I could ditto every word of your post. I love the jewel bouquets, but I am a sucker for pretty smelling flowers! :bigsmile:

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I love:

Straps on bridal dresses
Sparkly dresses
Small Cakes
Small receptions
Open bar
GOOD FOOD....this is so so so so so key in my opinion!
White/Ivory flowers
DJ but he has to be really good and not be cheesy/act like trash
CRYSTALS :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

I don't like:

Strapless
Really plain dresses (although I have a friend who is wearing a plain dress and it looks fantastic on her)
Corset backs
Colored sash's...(I like white ones)
Birdcage veils
Cash bar
Multiple flower colors in bouquets
Live bands because every wedding I've been to that has had one...has been awful.
Money dances
Garter fetching...ugh. Grandma doesn't need to see that...

My lists can go on and on because I'm insanely picky about weddings....

Sorry for the multiple edits!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
amc80|1305061556|2917725 said:
confusedaisy|1305060436|2917695 said:

We are having a friend officiate our wedding. It's my MOH's husband. We are having a destination wedding and would rather have someone close to us do it than some random person we would only meet a few minutes before the ceremony.

That is exactly why I considered having a friend officiate!!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
OUpeargirl|1305062337|2917743 said:
AMC I could ditto every word of your post. I love the jewel bouquets, but I am a sucker for pretty smelling flowers! :bigsmile:

Thanks!

I think if I were having a local wedding I would do flowers...but since we're jumping on a cruise ship right after the reception, I won't have time or a place to dry my flowers.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Corset backs...Yeah, I don't like them either. The problem is my fiance loves them. Ugh. So I'll probably get one....I mean, it's the back of the dress, so I won't see it anyway.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results