shape
carat
color
clarity

be careful of package deals

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

windy1365

Shiny_Rock
Hi, everyone. I just wanted to let you newly engaged women know about how wedding reception places try to rip people off. The place where we are getting married is absolutely beautiful. When we went there, we were offered a package deal... $9,000. But, she is charging us extra for everything.... the linens, the tables, the glasses, the bartenders, the table clothes and chair covers. It is ending up costing us about $15,000.

Be careful to find out what exactly is included in your package. I don''t understand why things that are necessary at a reception are not included in the package. You have to have chairs for people to sit in. You have to have tables. What did the $9,000 include??

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
To me this is sort of things you should obviously ask before you book the place. Which we did, but it is nice of you to warn people, because some people really might not realize these things. My dad is in the restaurant business so he knows all the tricks..
My linens (As long as i use all white) are incliuded. As is glassware and plates. There is some extra "service" charge..(18%.. which is not gratuity.. gratuity is extra) but its right on the contract.. so its not a suprise..

I know its easy not to think about these things. Maybe you should look elsewhere and see if you can rent table linens and glasses yourself cheaper.

windy1365

Shiny_Rock
I know it''s our fault. We signed the contract. I just had no idea that linens, glasses, and the little things would add up to $6k - $7k extra!! We only have a couple of weeks b/f the wedding, so we can''t use anyone else. Plus, the lady doesn''t let you use ''outside'' linens. I guess we thought that a package deal would include the tables, chairs, and things absolutely necessary.

I was just wanting to warn other people to be careful about the package deals. Meaning, it might be a lot cheaper to just rent the place and get all of the other stuff together yourself.

The place is beautiful, though, so it is going to be a beautiful wedding. We would probably do the same thing again! But, we would have planned a little differently knowing that we were going to owe that much extra money.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
windy- i''m so sorry you have to deal with this! it''s just one of those unfortunate things that wedding places do to unsuspecting couples... of course, it''s preventable, you shoulda known, etc... yadayada, but still... I understand how you feel about your location and doing it again there even if you had known- FI and I recently decided on a reception site that is going to be extremely expensive, bc nothing is included in the rental except the space- and even though we know that going in, it still hurts... at least, our wallets... a lot!!!

But in any case, I think that even though you may have to pay extra for all those things, I would try to go back and negotiate some other stuff for free... I don''t know what else they might provide, but there might be some small things you can tack on... maybe upgrade the linens, or an extra hour for the reception, or some extra appetizers, etc... then you both win and you''ll feel tons better!!

windy1365

Shiny_Rock
I wish! Now she is trying to tell us that the chairs in the reception area just have to have chair covers b/c if not, they clash and will look awful. Okay... $6 a chair times 100 = $600. And, I know she owns them, so it''s not like she will be out of money if she threw them in for free. We just cannot afford another $600, so I guess they will just have to look awful!

That''s a good idea, Flopkins, but I don''t think she is willing to negotiate since we have signed the contract already.

And, I''m getting charged full price for kids and babies. They don''t eat much!! Yes, I did know this up front, but it still makes me mad!!

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Windy,

It really sounds like she is trying to screw you : ( I''m sorry about that. Maybe she will throw them in if you refuse them? People also will be so much more focused on you and your new husband and the general atmosphere of sharing in your happy day, rather than noticing the chairs : ) Can you remember the chairs at the last wedding you went to? I know it''s your wedding and you want it to be perfect, and it will be, "matching" chairs or not!

I wish you well in your wedding and upcoming married life.

Bridget

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
windy- it sounds like she''s just trying to take advantage of you by making you feel guilty - don''t let her!!!!!! you are bringing them a huge amount of money, they should be catering to your every need, not the other way around... chair covers are nice, but never necessary. think of it this way- ppl will be sitting in them, and they''ll be covered! problem solved! hehe.

anyhoo, don''t let her get to you, and let it ruin your day!!!

windy1365

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! Ya''ll are right! No, I certainly don''t remember the chairs at the last wedding that I went to. I only remember the dress b/c I was engaged at the time of the wedding, so it''s like I was sensitive to that. I don''t even remember the dress at the wedding b/f that one when I wasn''t engaged, though.

I do remember a couple of weddings ago when there wasn''t enough chairs, though. I will have plenty of chairs at my wedding, so that is what is important!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results