shape
carat
color
clarity

Average price of gown?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Not to totally give myself away as a complete rookie, but how much should I pay for a gown??
33.gif
I know it''s personal, but what is average?

Only a few of my friends have gotten married so far, and all of them spent $3-5k on their dresses, so I just assumed that was what they cost. Then I went shopping with another friend and we saw all kinds of really pretty dresses under $1k! I was really surprised.

I had planned on a budget of about $3k, but is that overkill? We are having a beach wedding, so no intricate beading or lace for me. I do want something "wedding-y" though, not just a sheath. I want something that looks classic and high-quality, but I couldn''t care less about having a designer name.

Can you lovely brides-to-be give me some guidance?

meresal

Ideal_Rock
As far as destination gowns go... 3-5k is way more than you need. I would say more like $500-$1750 for a great dress. However, if you are extremely picky and like the designer labels more... you could end up paying as much as your original budget.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know if this helps, and I have no idea what "average" would be, but I paid ~$1500 (before tax) for my dress. I tried on dresses everywhere from $1000-$8000, and I thought mine was among the nicest quality, even though it was on the low end of the price scale.

If your budget is flexible, then you can certainly do whatever you want. But don't spend $3k just because your friends do. You can find wonderful dresses for significantly less, IMO.
1.gif

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks meresal! I''m starting to think the same thing...

Musey, your dress is gorgeous!
30.gif
The detailing on it is just amazing. After seeing that, I can''t imagine paying double the price for something as simple as what I have in mind.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/3/2007 6:37:42 PM
Author: musey
I don''t know if this helps, and I have no idea what ''average'' would be, but I paid ~$1500 (before tax) for my dress. I tried on dresses everywhere from $1000-$8000, and I thought mine was among the nicest quality, even though it was on the low end of the price scale.

If your budget is flexible, then you can certainly do whatever you want. But don''t spend $3k just because your friends do. You can find wonderful dresses for significantly less, IMO.
1.gif
23.gif

Really!?! I thought for sure that was at least 5k!!! I wanted to cry, I figured all gowns I liked (okay two) must be insanely expensive and out of my price range lol. Is that typical of that company? I went to their site and saw a few I thought were interesting.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
When I was looking I found this source in the Boston area: http://www.bridepower.com/

I went there a couple of times and they had some great stuff. I do not hesitate to recommend them. I'm sure that there must be something similar storewise where you are [if you are not in Boston].

Hope this helps.

[I did not buy there because we wound up doing a small ceremony and black tie dinner. I wound up getting a dress at Yolanda's instead - it was my 2nd wedding and I went for a red satin strapless gown since it was on 12/2/01.]

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
It''s really hard to get a straight answer for this questions: I only went to three boutiques when I was choosing a dress and I asked two of the consultants how much, on average, brides spent on their dresses. I''m a cheapskate, but my budget was $3k - $4k simply based on what I''d heard about gowns. The first boutique I went to was a bit stuffy, but had some gorgeous gowns and the consultant there said the average was around $4k (interestingly enough, this was at the top of my budget, also, they didn''t carry dresses less than $2k). The next boutique I went to carried a larger variety of dresses starting at $750 up to $15k+. The bridal consultant there was much more down-to-earth and was honest with me. She said I could get a fantastic dress for half of my budget and that most brides found dresses they loved in the $1k - $1.5k range, which was reassuring. Like Musey, I found a dress I absolutely loved that was hand-beaded and couture just the same as the $5k+ dresses I''d tried on earlier. After I negotiated, I think the final bill was around $1,650.

By the time I got to the third boutique, I was too tired to even ask. I don''t know what the national average is, but it just depends on where you shop. My friend who got her dress at Priscilla''s of Boston was told the average was over $5k, which is very different from the David''s Bridal average, but after just one day of shopping, I realized that my original budget (at least for what I wanted--nothing too "bridal" ish and appropriate for the beach) was too much. Naturally, after I bought the dress, I wanted a $300 JCrew dress, haha.

You can find something fantastic regardless of your budget--honestly, most women aren''t putting $3k or more for their gowns.

One last thing--after my alterations, shoes, veil, accessories, etc., I was really glad I came in so far under budget, because they were more than I thought.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Also, heep in mind that anything "bridal" will be more expensive. You may have other options.

For my 1st wedding I would up getting a cream satin ball gown with a jeweled belt. I didn''t use the belt [added satin ribbon with bows in the back], added some antique lace I picked up in Brussels at the wrists and an 18'' veil to make it more wedding like. It worked out very well.

I have since worn it to a number of formal affairs.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I have two dresses. The first is a Nicole Miller. It was on sale for $280ish (down from $880). It is a knock-out dress and the quality is great (and I''m a couture buff, so have high standards). Nicole Miller does lots of destination-appropriate gowns in the 900-2000 range. Check out her website.

The second gown is a Stephen Yearick (see pic in the next post). It retails for somewhere around $2800-3000. I bought it once worn from a consigner for $800.

And bridepower.com is awesome and give great customer service. Their gowns are new and samples, heavily discounted. Go to Saks or Neimans or wherever adn try on all th gorgeous 5-8K stuff. Figure out which designers fit you in which size and which style. Then buy from bride power. for half or a third (or 90% off) the price.

Moral of the story: shop around, and you''ll get something fab-o for a reaonable price.

ps nmdress3.jpg

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the other one.

I could REALLY tell the difference between a regular priced 1K dress and a regular priced 4K dress, btw, so make sure you try on both. But if you can get the 4K for 1K, you''re good to go!

yearick.jpg

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! Thanks for all the tips, especially bridepower. I will definitely check that out.
1.gif
For those of you who have used them, I assume that you had it altered locally? Did you get attitude about it? I could see this being similar to the "internet diamond" stigma at local jewelers, which was a remarkably unpleasant experience for me.

There are so many beautiful $5k gowns out there, but there seem to also be a lot of beautiful $1k gowns. At this point, I think I would rather spend the money elsewhere, but I''ll have to see what I like when I start shopping.

Independent Gal, both of those dresses are gorgeous!! That second one makes my heart skip a beat and what a great deal!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/3/2007 7:19:51 PM
Author: Independent Gal
Here's the other one.

I could REALLY tell the difference between a regular priced 1K dress and a regular priced 4K dress, btw, so make sure you try on both. But if you can get the 4K for 1K, you're good to go!

I love that dress! ETA: The pic didn't post. I'm referring to the 2nd one you posted.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Another option to consider is a custom made dress. I know of a woman that does spectacular work. You will get an amazing piece for less than the bridal prices but it will be "couture". Is that, possibly, an option for you? I don''t know if she works long distance [she is in Anchorage] but I could ask if you like.

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/3/2007 8:38:10 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu
Another option to consider is a custom made dress. I know of a woman that does spectacular work. You will get an amazing piece for less than the bridal prices but it will be ''couture''. Is that, possibly, an option for you? I don''t know if she works long distance [she is in Anchorage] but I could ask if you like.
That would be awesome! I don''t know how it would work long distance, but it would be SO cool to have a custom dress! Will you pretty please ask for me??
Thank you!!!!

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Like Indy, I definitely thought there was a difference in quality between <$1000 dresses and $2000-$4000 dresses. The difference between $3000 dresses and $6000+ dresses was not nearly as much. I ended up getting a Jim Hjelm that was MSRP ~$3000, shops were willing to sell it to me for about $2700, online at Pearl''s Place for $1900. It''s lace and I held it up directly next to $6000 Monique L''huillier dresses, and the quality of the fabric was comparable. Plus, I actually liked the style better than the MLs!

When I started shopping, I thought I would have to pay $4000-5000 for my dream gown, but luckily that did not end up being the case.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I went and looked around here in the UK and couldn''t find anything I liked for under about $4k and the one''s I liked were around $8k plus (prices are much more expensive here - especially in London).

In the end, I found a great dress designer via the net, and she is charging me $2.4K for a bespoke, made-to-measure dress with full elizabethan corset that goes under the gown separately (so I can wear it for other things.)

I have to buy the fabric on top of that, so I''m budgeting around $1.5k for fabric - silk brocade and rather large quantities.
15.gif

In the end it will cost me the same as something off the rack at most - and hopefully I will be able to get a good deal on the fabric and save some $$$.

This is the girl who initially said she wouldn''t spend more than $400...

misysu2

Brilliant_Rock
I think everyone above has given you great and true advice concerning dress prices, so I don''t have much more to say. I know I looked at one that I LOVED, which was WAY out of my budget, that was $4000. I kept looking and ended up finding a very comparable dress for $1200. I think even if you find one you love that''s pretty $$, you can always keep an eye out for something similar and less expensive.

Also, some big cities have bridal shops that specialize in destination dresses. You may want to check your area-- that''d be a great place to start your search! I know others have shown your prices for theirs, and if this helps you, here is my Casablanca (the top photos). It cost me ~$750.

MMM

Brilliant_Rock
hope this isn''t seen as a thread-jacking, but could anyone list the price ranges of designers? example: what are some good designers to look into if you (a.k.a. me - hehe) are looking in the 1k-2k range?

i was shocked Musey''s Pronovias was in this range! i thought that whole line was much, much more pricey!

(also, im sure a thread with this info already exists somewhere, i just couldn''t find one)

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
Mine is a ML and is around the 4k range, but I still need to buy an undergarment - undecided whether to go for silk/satin corset or longline bra (I am wearing a cap-sleeved lace jacket on top) and veil and shoes ... it all adds up! At most of the stores I visited I was trying on dresses in the $2-3k range, but I did try on a fabulous $9k that I would never allow myself to spend. I think Pronovias dresses are much more expensive in London than in the US, based on what I''ve seen here! They sure are gorgeous though.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2007 9:09:54 AM
Author: Krissie
Mine is a ML and is around the 4k range, but I still need to buy an undergarment - undecided whether to go for silk/satin corset or longline bra (I am wearing a cap-sleeved lace jacket on top) and veil and shoes ... it all adds up! At most of the stores I visited I was trying on dresses in the $2-3k range, but I did try on a fabulous $9k that I would never allow myself to spend. I think Pronovias dresses are much more expensive in London than in the US, based on what I''ve seen here! They sure are gorgeous though.
I didn''t find one for under $4k and that was for the more simple ones. The Elie Saab one was $16k.

Alfred Angelo starts at $1.6k

Hence why my dress seems extravagant by US prices, but isn''t at all bad for the UK.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
$3-5K average for a dress? Only if money is no object, and it usually is.

Perhaps some of you move in the kinds of circles where a designer dress is de rigueur. Okay, that VW, MS, ML, or Reem Acra is for you. The rest of us . . . need to get a little perspective.

There are gorgeous dresses, made from fabulous fabrics, available for less than $2K, $1.5K, and even $1K. In every state of the union. Maybe not overseas, but in every state. If you only start at the top by trying on that *dream* dress you saw in Martha Stewart Weddings, everything else will be a major let down -- which is why you''ll end up with a ridiculously expensive dress. You would feel like you settled if you didn''t buy that one!

Every designer gets knocked off. You can always find similiar styles for less money, WITHOUT sacrificing good quality. If you don''t normally wear couture, and you probably don''t, you won''t need it for your wedding dress. Save your money; you''re only wearing the dress once.

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone! This has been immensely helpful. Misysu, that Casablanca is stunning!
30.gif

Date: 12/4/2007 12:51:50 AM
Author: MMM
hope this isn''t seen as a thread-jacking, but could anyone list the price ranges of designers? example: what are some good designers to look into if you (a.k.a. me - hehe) are looking in the 1k-2k range?

i was shocked Musey''s Pronovias was in this range! i thought that whole line was much, much more pricey!

(also, im sure a thread with this info already exists somewhere, i just couldn''t find one)
MMM, I''m interested in this too! I''m surprised that this doesn''t exist on the internet somewhere, but I couldn''t find it either.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2007 7:57:10 PM
Author: BigDiamonds
Thank you everyone! This has been immensely helpful. Misysu, that Casablanca is stunning!
30.gif

Date: 12/4/2007 12:51:50 AM
Author: MMM

MMM, I''m interested in this too! I''m surprised that this doesn''t exist on the internet somewhere, but I couldn''t find it either.
The reason it doesn''t really exist, is b/c designers cannot force a boutique to sell at a certain price. They can only give a suggested retail price and hope they don''t stray too far. But, as you can see by these other posts, many brides find the same dress many places but for maybe 3 or 4 different prices. It all depends on the kind of market you live in and what kind of prices you can pull. In Houston... you are lucky to find a designer gown under $6000 right out of a boutique. However, if you do your research, there are sooo many other options for places to purchase at much lower prices!!!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m hoping to spend a max of €1000 which is about $1440. I''m going to order my dress from the US as even with the custom charges, it''s still so much cheaper. I''m going to NY next month and I''m going to try on a couple of dresses and go to a few consignment stores.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results