shape
carat
color
clarity

7mths out from the wedding, PS shopping trip and still no dress

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I get married in June next year and despite having tried on at least 50 dresses (likely more) I still have not found the one - thought I did a couple of months ago realised I looked like crap and canceled it, I have a couple on a shortlist but more of that later. At this stage I have planned crap all for the wedding literally (I have a venue for the reception which I had since last and nothing more) it seems until I find the dress I am stuck in the planning process

I went shopping this weekend with Honey22 who by all accounts is the most BEST bridal buddy shopping partner to have we had the best time at our meet up in Melbourne and I really could not have asked for a better shopping partner and a supportive buddy :). We went all around the bridal stores in Melbourne (so much fun) and I got to see Honey in her wedding dress - stunning
30.gif
30.gif
and have narrowed it down to two dresses both grossly over budget (what a surprise
20.gif
25.gif
) one more so then the other and both made to measure which is great as I am a non standard size and the alterations are included.

First a picture of my utterly perfect non attainable dream dress (they don't stock them in Australia) the one that makes me swooooooooooooon and I haven't found anything
remotely similar

THE UNATTAINABLE ONE NOT SOLD IN AUSTRALIA
kneuges093512l.jpg

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Dress by Elizabeth de Varga :)

The first contendor which is less out of budget LOL - the dress looks MUCH better IRL

devargaelanor.JPG

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
DRESS BY MARIANA HARDWICK

The second dress which is also stunning - Over budget by a lot more as well it isn't strapless but I can't find a picture anywhere with the straps so I am posting the top half of a casablacnca dress to show what the straps are like.

marianacartier.JPG

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
with a top in v -neck straps like this

Unless I find something else in the next ummm month or by some stoke of luck the Eugenia dress ends my way. I say one of these will be it I don''t have pictures of me in the dresses but this thread will give some idea of my shape (the dress makes me look like crap). https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-not-to-buy-a-wedding-dress-p-the-cheap-way-of-being-a-2-dress-bride.121916/

Any preference for one over the other...which would you pick? I already know which one Honey would :razz:

casablance1860tophalf.JPG

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Dress #1 is like a dream!!!! Lovely!

ETA: Sorry for voting for the most expensive dress. What can I say? I
30.gif
it!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 2:49:54 AM
Author: cindygenit
Dress #1 is like a dream!!!! Lovely!

ETA: Sorry for voting for the most expensive dress. What can I say? I
30.gif
it!

LOL cindy are you talking about the first dress I posted, unfortunately that one is not the contender I can't get that one
7.gif
it is just the dress I am still utterly smitten by

I should label these dresses :razz:

ETA dresses now re-labeled

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
ooooh.....woops i completely glossed over your post where u said they don''t make it in Aus. WHY NOT? Can you custom it? Its so Gorgeous!!

Are there any pics of you in the other dressed, Dee?? The one that looks best on you is not necessarily the one that looks best on the advertised picture!! Know what I mean?
2.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
nope no pics
7.gif
, Mariana Hardwick won''t even give me a photo of the dress with the straps I hate the non pics policy of bridal stores if you want to copy a dress a quick google search usually can do the trick.

- I did post a link to the thread with the so glad I got my senses back before I bought that dress so I guess that gives an idea of shape.

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Elizabeth de Varga is my pick!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Cindy :) maybe they might let me take pics in the flagship store tomorrow hahaha won''t hold my breath :razz:

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
I hate that policy too. They must think we''re trying to replicate the dress cheaply or something.
4.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mariana!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Parsley

Shiny_Rock
I know this isn''t going to make you feel much better, but that first dress is so beautiful...is there no way you can buy it online or anything? I just think it''s so gorgeous, you shouldn''t give up hope until every option has been covered!

Failing that, I prefer the Mariana dress :)

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Could you order your dream dress from the US? It really is stunning. If not I prefer the Mariana.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Freke, Parsley and Bee* :)

Bee and Parsely - I could but I looked at the price of that dress on the knot and I am not comfortable enough spending thousands of dollars on a dress I can't try on (funnily enough I can do this with a ring though
25.gif
) and I can't find anything similar here to try on either - if it looks like crap no refunds and I am stuck with a very expensive mistake
7.gif
. I have almost contemplated flying to NY to try it on but with the wedding comming up it is not a viable expense to travel to the otherside of the world.

I even thought getting a knock off made from one of those chinese factories and researched some but at the end of the day they look like cheap knock offs, and I like beautiful fabrics.

I feel like this is my HS formal all over again fall in love with an untainable dress and can't find anything that compares probabbly explains why I still can't find "the dress" LOL.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, but can you post the designer and name of that gown you love?

There is a consignment store near me that sells lots of lovely gowns. I want to give them a call or stop by and see if they have it.

I can see why you're so enamored with that first gown. It IS lovely and totally unique. I've never seen anything like it. Between the other two I really love the second one (Mariana?).

ETA: I found the style on your other thread. Eugenia 3512, right?

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
How you considered finding the closest approximation of the gown you love and adding to it? I''ve seen similar elements to the Eugenia gown on several sites but what seems to be the issue is the straps. Perhaps you can find a strapless flowy gown and add on the straps and embellish the hemline to emulate the Eugenia.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
I like where Claritek is going!! I think it''s a great idea to find a dress similar in shape and add to it.

Either that or could you find someone to recreate the dress for you where you are?

Sorry to say but i am not really into either of the other dresses, but i know that you need to find one soon.

Lucky you shopping with honey though! Must have been fun!

cleokizzy

Brilliant_Rock
i agree with clairitek! find a dress that is similar and have the straps added in. OR just get a really good seamstress to make that same dress for you! there should be a good seamstress there!

Parsley

Shiny_Rock
Aw that''s so rubbish :( I''m a bit heartbroken for you! Just like someone else said, I''ve never seen anything like that before, and it''s taken my breath away! I''m sure there *must* be someone around that can recreate this look for you? Don''t give up until there''s truly nothing else that can be done. And keep looking! You never know, THE dress could still be lurking out there that outshines even this one. I don''t know if I''m getting overly romantic about it, but if you''re not sure about the other two then I would look past them, as they clearly haven''t sparked that bit of love in you!

I should be doing work...but I''m gonna go on a little hunt, see if there''s anything that''s escaped your search. :)
xxx

Parsley

Shiny_Rock
Dress 1
Dress 2
Dress 3
Dress 4
Dress 5
Dress 6 (First one, number 940)
Dress 7
Dress 8

Couldn''t find anything very similar to yours..but I''ve tried to find ones that have an air of it about them...whether in the skirt, or detailing...I think the last or second to last one I thought the detail around the bust was, while not strictly similar, kinda like it. I hope they help in their own small way. :)

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Here are some that might be candidates for a make-over to more closely emulate your dream gown. If you want to consider going this route, let me know if you only want silk or if polyester is OK.

Here is a polyester option from David''s Bridal:
DB 1

I think that you could easily put on some chiffon for the cap sleeves/straps and have a seamstress embellish the hemline with some lace appliques.

Not as close but gorgeous, flowy, and empire waisted! A good start.
Maggie Sottero from Destinations Collection

Another Maggie Sottero

Maggie has lots of options. They sell her stuff in Oz right?

More Maggie

If you don''t like beading or sparkle at all then it might be best to get a plain empire waisted chiffon gown and then have them put a tulle or english netting overlay on it and put the appliques on that. Then embellish the top bust area with appliques and add on straps.

This one is almost there. Hack off the strap and add on the overlay, chiffon straps, and appliques on the bust!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 11:59:55 AM
Author: Parsley
Dress 1

Dress 2

Dress 3

Dress 4

Dress 5

Dress 6 (First one, number 940)

Dress 7

Dress 8

Couldn''t find anything very similar to yours..but I''ve tried to find ones that have an air of it about them...whether in the skirt, or detailing...I think the last or second to last one I thought the detail around the bust was, while not strictly similar, kinda like it. I hope they help in their own small way. :)

That 2BeBride one (#940) is gorgeous. Pretty darn close in *feel* of the Eugenia gown.

I found this one by Pronovias. No lace or appliques but it has a similar chiffon wrapping thing going on to the Eugenia.

Pronovias Site- The styleis called the Moscu

Also, the Pronovias Gladiolo is nice.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Firstly can I just say you girls ROCK omg I saw this post on my way to work today and I was so touched it made my day thank you for taking the time to post all those dresses :) *massive hugs to you all* and thank you from the bottom of my heart you guys are awesome :).

I really love some of the dresses posted :), I have also fallen in love with about 30 dresses from the 2010 pronovias, manuel mota and ellie saba (essentially all the pronovias stuff) (claire that moscu dress is stunning so is the Gladiolo) and plan on complying a list of said dresses and harrasing the stores around me that stock them and going to try every single one of them on if they don't have them here another trip to Melbourne might be in order :) some are similar to Eugenia and others aren't I can see myself falling in love HARD with some of these which is awesome since they stock them here :).

Honey your a sweetie :), the only problem for me with the Mariana is the price tag
23.gif
I think FI would have a heart attack with it but it was so beautiful and still a contender if you win tatts or I lotto that won't be an issue I ended calling them back and they clarified the dress is called lady cartier but there are no pics on the web they wouldn't even send me a catalouge pic
20.gif

I didn't go try the Elizabeth de Varga again today I had chocolate and coffee for lunch instead with a friend OMG and it was was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good like SOOOOOOOOOOOO good
18.gif

charbie

Ideal_Rock
i was looking at wedding photos of a girl i went to college with...when i realized the bust of her dress is similar to the one you''re looking for. how does this look?

its sottoro & midgely ASM3052

sottoro and midgley dress

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results