shape
carat
color
clarity

5 days to go--happy, sad, stressed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
So I''m getting married in 5 days (eeeeeeekkkk!) and I''ve been running the gamut of emotions today.

I''ve very happy and excited that I get to marry the love of my life in a mere 5 days. NOTHING could really put a damper on that. But just today I''ve been feeling a little down.

A little backstory:
I am white and from a VERY tiny town in the Midwest that is beautiful and was wonderful to grow up in, but is a little, shall we say "backwards" and old-fashioned. There was little to no diversity there when I was growing up and there still isn''t.

I met my fiance in college in a much bigger town. He is African American and we''ve been through a lot in terms of my family and friends. My mom was okay with our relationship from the beginning as she was raised in a more open-minded family setting; however, my father took a while to "adjust". Now they both love my fiance to pieces.

My extended family, however, is a different story entirely. I was fully prepared to get their wedding RSVP''s back with a checkmark in front of "regretfully decline", but I was a lot less prepared for how hurt I would be. I guess I have to remember that you can''t pick your family....

At any rate, I guess there''s no real purpose to this except to vent a little bit....

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry that you''re feeling down. Just remember that you''ll be married to the love of your life in a few days. Sending hugs.

louisvgirl

Shiny_Rock
I''m sorry you feel sad and stressed. You should not be feeling this way, but it happens. Just remember that you are marrying the love of your life, and you will be starting your lives together. The fact that your parent loves him, would mean more to me than my extended familly. I know that you would have wanted everyone there, but at this point........you''re right. You can''t please everyone. You''re marrying your love, and you will wake up to him each and every day. Not aunt Jane, Uncle Joe, or cousin Vinnie. Don''t let them get you down on just days beore your wedding. Take some time for yourself, because this is what you need. 5 more days....New Year''s Eve Bride!!Yay. I''m right behind you!! Congrats!!! Hang in there! Lots of hugs!!
36.gif

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so sorry you are experiencing difficulties within the extended family. I hate how some people can be so closed minded in today''s world.

This is why I think when we evenually set the date, I will only be inviting very close family and friends. It will be an intimate ceremony. I would too feel sad by declines.

But remember this will be the happiest day of your life and you won''t even remember those relatives who do not attend.

Enjoy! I hope your day is magnificent!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry you are feeling down sweetie, but all your troubles will melt away when you walk down the isle in 5 days to marry the man of your dreams. It''s their loss if they chose not to be there, the most important people will be saying the i-do''s!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/26/2008 11:10:18 PM
Author: honey22
I am sorry you are feeling down sweetie, but all your troubles will melt away when you walk down the isle in 5 days to marry the man of your dreams. It''s their loss if they chose not to be there, the most important people will be saying the i-do''s!

That''s right, I am sorry your having to deal with it but at the end of the day it is about you and your hubby to be don''t let narrow minded people ruin one of the most beautiful times in your life.

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
Misspinky, I'm sorry you're feeling down because of the close-mindedness of others. The most important thing is that you and your FI love and respect each other. Unfortunately, this world is filled with lots of prejudice, hatred and bigotry, and it sucks when you've got to deal with such nastiness in your own family. However, the awesome news is that your immediate family adores your FI and are happy and supportive of the two of you. As everyone else has posted, in a few days you're going to be marrying your best friend and that's what's most important. Enjoy your day and remember that's it's always better to be surrounded by a few people that love you than lots whom are poorly intentioned. Hugs to you and best wishes for a beautiful and special wedding day!

mommy2iz

Brilliant_Rock
i just wanted to send lots of happy vibes your way! i was in a very similar situation, though 10 yrs ago.....the best thing you can do is let your love radiate to the hearts of those who remain closed to your relationship. show them, by example, that love is color blind. try to focus on the positive, the people who are supportive and the feelings you share. in time, it is very possible that some of these not so supportive extended family members welcome you and support you in ways you never thought possible.
best wishes for the happiest of days to come!!!!!!!!!

newsboysgrl777

Shiny_Rock
Oh my gosh! That just makes me sick that people are still that ignorant and snobbish. How full of pride people are to think that their race/ethnicity/or whatever is SUPERIOR to anyone else's!! And then to NOT go to your wedding because they don't 'condone' interracial marriage?? That's disgusting. You know how they say blood is thicker than water, just meaning that nothing comes before family? OBVIOUSLY these people don't view their family as more important than their self-righteous prejudices.

okay, i'm sorry. My rant is over. I am so sorry you're going through this, but, i'd love for you to focus on all of the people that ARE coming!! And realize how much THEIR love and support means!!! In the face of all the others' decisions, these people's love radiates much more!! And, as someone else said, you marrying the love of your life is the most important thing of all. Do you know how many people don't ever MEET that love of their life? And, sadder yet, do you know how many people marry someone who they DON'T feel is their best friend and heart-mate??!!! Girl!! You've got SO much going for you!!! And what you and your FI have together is too precious for ANYONE to ruin! And, your mom and dad both love and support you!! That is SO SO SO important!!! :)

And, the last thing: is that ring in your avatar a PINK DIAMOND!!?? Even if it's not and it's a pink sapphire, can I say I am IN LOVE?!!!!
30.gif
I want a halo ring soo badly and had never seen them before PS and before i got my E-ring. Otherwise, I may have had one of those babies instead of the 3 stone I've got. I LOVE IT!! :)

AND, GOOD LUCK!!!!!! Just remain calm and don't forget to eat, get plenty of sleep, and drink lots of water!!!! :) SOOO excited for you!!!!!!

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you guys soooooo much for your supportive words--I agree with you all and from this point on will focus on the fact that there will be plenty of people there that love and support me and my relationship.

newsboysgrl777--My avatar is actually a concave cut pink tourmaline by Richard Homer. I looked at sapphires a lot when I was searching for my stone and I couldn''t find one that was exactly the color I wanted; then he showed me the tourmaline and I was hooked. It''s not quite as strong as sapphire, but I baby it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results