shape
carat
color
clarity

06/29 to 07/06 BWW Weight Loss Thread

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Hi all! Sorry I didn''t keep up this weekend, FI was here and I was super busy. I wanted to thank you lliang_chi for posting awesome arm exercises!!
36.gif
I forgot to do that. I am going to start doing those definitely.

I think this would be a good topic since it came up on last week''s thread: What do you do in a social eating situation? What are ways to not be pushed into bad eating habits during those 4th of July cookouts?

Finally, what are your goals for this week?

Mine are to try to not eat too, too bad. Also, to get more exercise in than last week and as always increase the water! Hope everyone had a great weekend!
36.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have anything to contribute really since I am feeling rather ill again (blarg), but I just wanted to say that I freaked out mildly when I saw the dates for this thread! My thesis is due so soon!
23.gif
(Sorry, I know this is the bridey area and most people freak out about how soon their weddings are, but I had to share my YIKES! moment.)

Wish I also had some tips about eating in social situations. I don''t think I really have any tricks, other than making sure I only drink water and constantly have a glass of it with me, so I drink that instead of eat lots of snacks and nibbles.

claireabelle

Shiny_Rock
Hi ladies,

Thanks for starting the thread, Sarah! Good to see you''ve already set your goals for the week....

I''ve stayed on track for 2 weeks now... have been running a lot and cutting out carbs and unnecessary fats. My goals are to run at least three times this week, eat looooads of vegetables and fish, and get at least 8 hours of sleep per night.

social situations? hmmm if I''m out....

- I always try to order fish (grilled) and substitute any potato/fries sides with greens such as broccoli, beans etc.
-I find Thai food has some tasty, healthy options...
-I also limit myself to 2 glasses of wine when out at dinner (alcohol is baaaad).
-Instead of desert I order a skim latte or mocha to finish.

At family/friend dinner parties....
- Slow down! eat slowly - you''ll realize you''re satisfied half way through your meal rather than scoffing down the whole lot!
- If it''s a ''help yourself'' buffet style, look at all the options before piling everything on your plate. Only choose the options you REALLY want to eat....don''t just try everything for the sake of it (your plate will end up far too overloaded!!)
- honestly, I just keep picturing myself really slim on my wedding day!!!! I find that the thought of me in a size 6 figure hugging wedding gown tastes a whole lot better than that brownie!

okay....now that''s out of my system...gwendolyn, honey I''m loving your signature - cracks me up! though sorry to hear you''re poorly again - this damn thesis is causing you grief! I guess look at the positive side - by the 11th all this stress will be done with! hang in there sweetie...
9.gif

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
I''m pretty bad in social situations. Eating''s not so bad. I usually don''t like fried/bad for you stuff (except for french fries but I just tell myself not to order them). But I do drink with everyone. Booo..

Today''s goal is to run again. Maybe a 4 or 5 mile run. and a salad for lunch. I do a CSA (vegetable share and we got a TON of salad stuff this week. Hopefully it''ll encourage me to stay on that.

Sarah, you''re very welcome with the free weight excercises. I try to tell myself to do them too. Hopefully we''ll both have killer arms in soon! :)

Gwen, breathe! I know what it feels like to come up to one of those ACK! moments. But just write everything down and start crossing off the list.... Good luck!

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
Posted this in last week''s thread:

lliang..thanks for the great tips! Question...what is the best arm workout for the area right under the armpit? Above the bicep and tricep. My friend said it was the one where you lay down flat on the floor, both arms out beside you so you''re shaped like a "T", then bring arms straight up above you in the air and back down. That seems to work out the shoulders. My problem spot is below the shoulder but above those main muscles. I''m trying to attach a picture, but it doesn''t like me right now.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Actually working on anything around the shoulders will eventually get to that area. The problem is that's a really small muscle, and you're going to have to do a lot of work on your arms and shoulders in general, just to get that area worked on. But the upside is that your arms are going to look super hot. I still have a lot of work to do in the "armpit" area too.

Something similar to what you suggested but I like using a balance (bouncy) ball. Roll the ball up next to a wall or something and lie on your chest on the ball so your shoulders are free, feet on the ground. Use the wall to keep your feet still and stable. You're on an inclined position, head above feet, keep your body straight as possible. Then pick up some REALLY LIGHT weights and do "flys". That's when you pick the weights from off the ground and bring your arms up to a T. It's KILLER!!! and I just use dinky 5 lb weights too! If you don't have a bouncy ball, I think you can just use a bench or something.

ETA: Cortney, your friend's exercise would work too, but you have to focus on engaging your shoulder blades so you're not just working the upper part of your shoulders. Think about pulling your shoulder blades down your back. When you're lying face down you shoulders will naturally "roll" forward so it's flat on the ground too. If you pull your shoulder blades down your back, you're working the "front" of your shoulders too.

Also, ladies please don't do anything you're not comfortable with or is too hard. Better to stay healthy so you can keep going to the gym than pushing yourself and getting hurt!

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/30/2008 11:21:18 AM
Author: lliang_chi
Actually working on anything around the shoulders will eventually get to that area. The problem is that''s a really small muscle, and you''re going to have to do a lot of work on your arms and shoulders in general, just to get that area worked on. But the upside is that your arms are going to look super hot. I still have a lot of work to do in the ''armpit'' area too.

Something similar to what you suggested but I like using a balance (bouncy) ball. Roll the ball up next to a wall or something and lie on your chest on the ball so your shoulders are free, feet on the ground. Use the wall to keep your feet still and stable. You''re on an inclined position, head above feet, keep your body straight as possible. Then pick up some REALLY LIGHT weights and do ''flys''. That''s when you pick the weights from off the ground and bring your arms up to a T. It''s KILLER!!! and I just use dinky 5 lb weights too! If you don''t have a bouncy ball, I think you can just use a bench or something.

ETA: Cortney, your friend''s exercise would work too, but you have to focus on engaging your shoulder blades so you''re not just working the upper part of your shoulders. Think about pulling your shoulder blades down your back. When you''re lying face down you shoulders will naturally ''roll'' forward so it''s flat on the ground too. If you pull your shoulder blades down your back, you''re working the ''front'' of your shoulders too.

Also, ladies please don''t do anything you''re not comfortable with or is too hard. Better to stay healthy so you can keep going to the gym than pushing yourself and getting hurt!
So basically they''re like the lying down chest flys I described, except your on your stomach at an incline on the ball, therefore working the backs of the shoulders and back in addition to the arms? Sounds killer! Actually...it''s like reverse chest flys! Cool!

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Argh, 4th of July...And I think we have at least 2 BBQ lined up this month. During the weekend we had goodbye party for one of our dear friends, and I drank a lot. EEk. It's as if everyone is trying to sabotage my diet!!
3.gif
Must...Stay...Strong...

As for those "wings" under the armpits, I realized that when I lost weight by cardio, it went away too.

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
We floated the river in New Braunfels and I drank a lot also....which caused the pigging out yesterday. I have less than 4 weeks left. NO MORE DRINKING!!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Gwen: I totally understand, but please relax and feel better! I''m worried about you.
40.gif
Don''t worry about what you eat this week, take a week off since it''s a big, stressful week!
5.gif

claireabelle: It sounds like you''re doing great!! The sleep goal is a good one, I tend to go to sleep at odd times which is not healthy. I should work on that, too. Sounds like you''ve got some good motivation going with your mental image of slimming down!
36.gif

lliang_chi: How did the run go? :) Ooh thanks for more great exercises! I love learning new ones, it''s hard to look around on the internet and know what''s good, but if someone that uses it is recommending it that''s better I think. I agree about getting hurt. My Mom has done that once and it was not good at all. She couldn''t work out for a long time.

Courtney: Your friend''s exercise sounds good, too! Oh man it sounds like you had fun, but maybe a bit too much fun. Hehe, don''t worry you''ll get back on track. I don''t think one or two days is going to throw everything off that bad.

Choro: I know how you feel..yummy food on the 4th. Sigh I am going to my Grandma''s and I know she''ll have some serious cakes and sweets.
5.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think I mentioned this earlier, but it''s another idea for eating healthy at a cookout. If you like fat-free hot dogs or more lean hamburger meat, bring your own meat and ask them to cook a fat-free whatever for you!
6.gif
Haha that sounds naughty.
31.gif
But I think you get my point. If you tell people ahead of time and explain why, they may even make the effort to buy it for you.
11.gif

mjso

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/1/2008 12:23:44 AM
Author: SarahLovesJS
I don''t think I mentioned this earlier, but it''s another idea for eating healthy at a cookout. If you like fat-free hot dogs or more lean hamburger meat, bring your own meat and ask them to cook a fat-free whatever for you!
6.gif
Haha that sounds naughty.
31.gif
But I think you get my point. If you tell people ahead of time and explain why, they may even make the effort to buy it for you.
11.gif
I do this a lot because I don''t eat meat (for the most part..too long and complicated to explain). I''ll bring marinated veggies, veggie burgers or meatless brats or something else. Or I will eat something before-hand and just mention that I don''t eat meat...most of the people I hang out with know this already so it isn''t like they are offended that I''m not eating their hamburgers and sometimes they even buy veggie burgers for me!

Today I''m shooting for a goal of 15,000 steps.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Sarah, The run was good! I did a 5 miles and actually ran most of the way too. Normally I stop for a bit and walk, but I really felt good yesterday. My goal is to actually RUN a whole way through one of these days. I keep upping the mileage because I keep trying to find a fun path. Yesterday I ran to the lake front. It was okay. FI swears by it, but I''m not totally sold yet.

Choro & Sarah, Try bringing your own turkey burgers. :) It''s a healthier alternative. I like putting extra stuff in mine like jalapeno peppers and/or curry spices.

Choro, lucky you that you got rid of the "wings" from cardio! In high school I was in the best shape of my life and still had those things. Albeit not as much as I do now.

mjso Do you do stair machines? That''s some serious cardio!!

Today I feel hungry all the time! I ate an egg for breakfast today and some fruit etc. Plus my normal tea (with milk). Dunno why I''m sooo hungry. Must have something to do with the run... Today I want to catch a class at my soon to be ex-gym. And find a tri that FI & I can do at the end of summer.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
So, walking is pretty much the only exercise I can get myself to do with any regularity. I have combined walking 3 miles/day (to/from work) with healthy eating and limiting snacks and sweets. ~3 weeks in I am feeling pretty good, I haven''t weighed myself but I am FEELING skinnier (hopefully it is not an illusion)

Though, one thing I''ve found is that when I am eating less all-around, my tummy just looks smaller because there''s no stuff in it. But, the pudge re-appears when I eat a big meal =( This makes me think that I am not really losing fat yet...

RZ

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
well, I gained the kg I lost last week back.
39.gif
I know it''s only 1 kg, but I thought I was on the right track to having lost 2 kgs. I kept doing my exercises and eating the same (healthier than normal) so not sure why.

so yesterday and today I am having a cereal and fruit only dinner. it sucks. I hate having hunger pangs but maybe it will help to make my stomach smaller so I don''t require so much food? at least I don''t have my usual hunger pangs where I''d feel faint and need sugar. so maybe my body is getting used to having less sugar or getting it from the fruit.

anyway, here''s hoping to lose the 1 kg again this week.

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
noelwr, I just wanted to tell you not to starve yourself! I once gained 5lbs (about 2.3kg) for no reason at all. I freaked out, I was depressed, but I didn''t do anything different for the rest of the week. The next week, I lost it all again. I figured it was just water weight or normal fluctuation that I go through as a female species.

What kind of cereal are you having? I''m having a hard time finding affordable cereal with high fiber, low sugar content. And what kind of fruit are you having? I used to eat one piece of fruit everyday (peaches, plums, oranges, apples...Whatever was on sale), but it was so much sugar for me that I was jittery and sweaty everyday. I''ve quit doing that
7.gif

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Noelwr, don''t beat yourself up! A 16 oz, regular bottle of water is approximately 1 lb (1/2 kg) So if you drank a bottle of water that could explain half of the discrepancy.

3-5 pounds or 1-3 kg is totally within a normal fluctuation range, especially for women. This is why I don''t weigh myself everyday. We are so used to seeing promises like "Lose 10 pounds in 2 weeks!" that we forget that it doesn''t really work that way. I would say, don''t start "counting" weight loss until it is 5-10 lbs. This way you know it is a magnitude greater than the ''margin of error'' and won''t get disappointed by normal fluctuations.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Hey girls I''ve been keeping my distance since I''ve been feeling rather snarky!!
25.gif
Even had a bit of a tiff with FI.
39.gif
But don''t worry we made up!

I''ll be back tomorrow. Hey I hit 2,000 posts, wooohoo!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Hey everyone, I am going out of town until Sunday so I will be back then!!
4.gif
Bye for now!
36.gif
36.gif

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Sarah, have a good 4th of July!
35.gif
I''m snarky all the time to FI, so I know what you mean. Let it out!

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I''ve gained about 2 pounds. Sigh. I know what I need to do to lose weight, I just have a hard time making myself do it. I think I''m scheduled to lead a hike tomorrow afternoon, so maybe that will be a good starting point for exercising. I''m good if I set goals for myself, so maybe my goal for this next week will be to get at least 30 minutes of exercise a day, every day.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been thinking about this non-stop for the last half an hour and finally decided to do something that is brave, at least for me.

I think I''ve come to the conclusion that there is a HUGE correlation between my depression and how well I take care of myself. Three months ago I was at the top of my game. I felt in control of everything! My meds felt balanced therefore I felt balanced. I was able to change my eating habits, start exercising more, and was feeling great inside and out.

The past two months I''ve been spiraling downward. I''ve felt out of whack all the time and things are slipping right and left. I''m eating garbage, I struggle every day at work, I break down in tears at every little thing, I let house cleaning go, I let my personal hygiene go (I skip showers, etc. I know its gross, but I''m trying to be honest here.) I am usually much more on top of things, but I think it didn''t hit me until tonight. My FI was out and I was watching TV when I looked around the house and OH MY GOSH! It was messy - things were laying out everywhere, the cat box needed to be cleaned, there were dishes piled sky high in the sink, etc. Not that FI doesn''t help out with those things, but we split the housework and those are "my" chores. On top of that I don''t think I''ve showered since Tuesday morning. Ick ick ick! I think I''ll call and see if I can get into my doc next week. Sounds like it is time to adjust my meds again!!!

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
EricR,
bighug5.gif

My aunt that takes medication frequently needs to change dosage and sometimes brand. She goes through good months and bad months, and we know that she is doing alright when she posts on a forum that we go to (Japanese version of MySpace).
It must be hard having to rely on it and having to notice when you need help. I hope your FI is watching after you
1.gif

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock

Date: 7/2/2008 3:06:57 PM
Author: choro72

What kind of cereal are you having? I''m having a hard time finding affordable cereal with high fiber, low sugar content. And what kind of fruit are you having? I used to eat one piece of fruit everyday (peaches, plums, oranges, apples...Whatever was on sale), but it was so much sugar for me that I was jittery and sweaty everyday. I''ve quit doing that
7.gif
I live in Holland so not sure we have the same cereal. I eat Cruesli (which is muesli). I get the one with the dark chocolate flakes in it
23.gif
. I know the chocolate bit isn''t healthy but it does make it taste good.

I have about 3 pieces of fruit per day. grapefruit, nectarine, apple. I know they contain a lot of sugar but I figure better to get my sugar from there than from cookies or chocolate muffins.

well, I went back to eating "normally". I have made healthier choices and am opting for fish over meat and the fruit over unhealthy snacks. also more veggies. I haven''t lost any weight, but I haven''t gained any either. also still doing my daily "toning" exercises and drinking lots of water. I don''t do any cardio so I guess I can''t expect a miracle.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results